Many emerging ecommerce businesses start in someone’s garage or kitchen. They store, pack, and ship from a home base and control all the activities. But even established sellers sometimes opt for fulfilling in-house.
The benefits include:
- Quality control for packing, presentation, shipping, surprises.
- Elevated customer experiences for speed, communication, support.
- Branding and materials for customized packaging.
- Better control over inventory levels, avoiding stock-outs.
- No barriers between you and the customer.
In-house fulfillment is best suited for one or more of the following:
- Order volumes of less than 20 per day.
- Customized orders or unique customer requirements.
- New product lines and suppliers.
- Alternative picking and packaging processes.
- Local customers.
- Existing capacity (warehouse and employees).
- Adequate funding to invest in technology.
This article was first published on www.practicalecommerce.com